It’s official… after nearly 6 years since I bought my first high end camera I am finally jumping in to doing photography professionally. I've been working on this for the past year, taking classes and doing a mentorship, practicing, editing, getting my blog designed and re-wording it a thousand times. I have been waiting for the perfect time to put it out there, but if I do that, there will be no perfect time and it might never happen. So, I will forget the voice in my head that has held me back, telling me I won’t be good enough or that I‘m just not ready yet, or that every other stay at home mom has a photography business on the side. I will stop comparing my work to others and let them inspire me instead of intimidate me. The thing I’ve discovered about being a photographer is that your never done learning, and your always improving because of it. We all have to start somewhere, so this is my somewhere. While I am very self conscious about how others will see and judge my work, which is a little part of me, it’s now open and offically out there for public viewing. I love to take pictures, I always have, to freeze time, to capture memories & to turn pictures into little pieces of art! I have hundreds of thoughts and ideas in my head that I can't wait to capture. I’ve always wanted a flexible job, on my terms so I could still be a mom and participate with my kids whenever I wanted or whenever they needed me. This feels like the perfect fit. The only pressure I have with this job is the one I put on myself to learn more and to be better. Making my own hours and at the very least, being able to take great pictures of my own kids. It’s a no lose situation for me. I don’t think I’ll ever regret putting myself out there like this, but I know I would regret not pursuing something I love… Wish me Luck!!! And to the most amazing husband on the planet, thank you for supporting, and encouraging me when I wanted to give up. I couldn't do this without you. I love you more then you'll ever know!
www.marykayphotography.blogspot.com
And remember this is a rough draft, still working on it and probably will be forever!
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I love, love your photos and am so proud of you for accomplishing your dream!! You are amazing and inspiring!! Just, keep your prices low so I can afford you, k!! lol...Love ya Mikki!!!
I love what you do! I was talking with some one in the ward and asking how much you charge for family pictures! You are amazing!
Mikki,
Way to go! I am so proud of you for following your dreams and doing this. I am so excited for you. Will you still take my kids pictures for me? (we will talk about that on Wed when we get together.) Good luck Mikki. You are awesome and will do such a great job at preserving people's memories.
I'm so happy for you! That is awesome. Next time I'm in Utah I should call you to do a photo shoot. Good luck with everything! You really are an amazing photographer.
wow that was an inspiring little blog post. I must be too emotional because it's bringing tears! :) I'm going to check out the photo blog now. I'm so glad you are doing it!!!!
I just looked at your photo blog and it's awesome. Way to go Mik! You are doing such a great job!!!
I just added a link to my blog. I did copy your header and put it with the link. Would you rather me use something different? I should have asked first. Also I added mindy's on there. I didn't have hers before. There is no reason for the order I put them in :) I guess just the order of when I knew about them... to be fair. :)love ya
I'm so excited for you! I love that I never knew your name was Mary Kay. Good luck!
Good for you. It is always scary to do something new. I know you will be great. I bet is fun to do something you love.
amazing!!! I always knew you should be doing this...glad to see you are making it happen. We've been trying to get our family photo's taken out here before Mark deploys again...and we were going to ask you if you would be able to do it for us since we knew you had the souped up camera. We would love for you to take our pics while we are in town. We'll be there the 5th - 14th of November :). Could you do it sometime during then? We'll be in touch soon!
Good for you! I have been trying to give myself the same pep talk to start my buisness (for cakes). I just need to be like you and just do it. There is always going to be "what ifs" right? I think that you take really good pictures! Super cute. Good luck!
P.S. I hope you don't mind that I was blog stocking you. :)
Yay Mikki! I am so happy that you're going for it. You are so talented! I wish you the best of luck in your new venture.
Post a Comment