Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Notes to Heaven...

Mrs. Petersen came in to see the kids today. After all she's been through and is still trying to endure she's thought about, worried about, and even dreamt about the kids in her class while she's been gone. She wanted to come talk to them about Zach and show them some of his things from the hospital. She is so brave and stronger then she knows. I'm sure she doesn't feel that way, but she really is. It was beyond sweet & the kids were so happy and excited to see her. We each wrote a note to Zach and tied them to blue balloons that we sent up to Heaven for him. I didn't realize how emotional some of the kids would be, but the tears started flowing before we even got outside. I meant to get a group picture first, but we were busy comforting the kids that were crying. It was tender and special & I'm glad we had the opportunity to visit with Katie about her sweet son. What a special person to be able to do that & share with her class what is so raw and fresh for her. Madison and I are better just for knowing her this year & she will always have a special place in our hearts!







7 comments:

Katie Petersen said...

Mikki. Thank you so much for your post! Is there any way I can get these pictures? It was so sweet of you to plan that activity and I loved getting my kids involved too. They loved Zach and were excited for him to make his grand arrival too. I thought it was so sweet that so many of my girls got emotional. I think it goes to show that girls really do have the motherhood instinct. It was hard to come in and talk to them about Zach but I am really glad I did.

Jeff and Kate Dixon said...

Once again, I am in tears. You are such a wonderful friend to Katie.

Lea Tame said...

Mikki, you are the sweetest, most kind person there is. You go beyond your school duties to become a friend. It is a blessing that Madison is in Katie's class because right now she needs support everywhere I know she gets that from you., just like I did when I needed it. We all love you!

On a completely different side note... I would LOVE to take some pictures with Joshua! When??!!

Mike and Becca said...

wow, that is really, really sweet and such a great experience for the kids. And on a lighter note that bowling is halarious! Mike would die before he did that I think. I atta try it and see what he does. Sooo funny. Great idea

Lisa said...

This is so special!

jaclyn weist said...

That is so sweet!! What a special thing you did. :)

Lynette said...

Mikki - I talked to Katie yesterday and she shared with me all of the wonderful things you did to help her see her children again. She had been worried about how all of that would go, but she was totally comforted by the entire experience. When she told me about the balloons I just cried. What an AMAZING thing to do! I am an elementary school teacher and my office staff asks me every day how my daughter is doing. I shared with them this morning what happened yesterday and by the time I was finished they were all in tears with me. They all commented on how lucky Katie is to have a "room mother" like that. Thank you so much for the love and support you give my daughter. She is an angel to be sure and she is so lucky to have you for a friend.